So yes, Hammelin was crappy place to live it seems, with all the plague of rats and creepy traveling musicians that kidnap kids.
I got the inspiration for this piece after listening to Megadeth´s Symphony of Destruction and discussing a propper way to call a person with Piebaldism. I thought Pied was appropriate, since thats how you call a piebald animal, a "pied horse" for example.
I thought it would be cool to make a picture featuring a pied .. pied piper because of that.
Originally I was going to draw myself as the pied piper, since I have a small degree of piebaldism, but then I took some additional liberties with the image. For one I liked the idea that it could be heterochromic too, having eyes of two different colors. I do not know of any piebald with pink albino eyes, but I thought that would be the ultimate genetic excentricity you could probably have. A green and a pink eye.
I also wanted it to play a bagpipe isntead of some flute for some reason.. I don´t know, it must be my Asturian heritage speaking, bagpipes are awesome.
I liked how this turned out a lot.
Look quite medieval.
The diversity of rats is quite ammusing too if you look in detail, I thought it helped convey the fucked-up-ness of the vermin problem Hamelin and the inherent dark side of the story by adding:
- Several way larger than avarage rats.
- Mutant rats with sort of .. claws growing between their fur (A la warhammer, I´ve always been a fan of the Skaven), the largest one of which is an albino.
- A large missing a big part of the upper jaw to he bottom left.
- A "Rat King" t the bottom right, near the right foot of the Piper.
- A pied (maybe a pet?) pet rat on the top of one of the pipe stands.
Just like the pied piper
Led rats through the streets
We dance like marionettes,
Swaying to the symphony...